We’ve all been there: it’s a cold morning in New Jersey, and the only saving grace between your toasty bed and blankets is the idea of a nice, warm shower to wake you up.
You turn on the shower, and wait the thirty seconds or so for it to start to become warm. But it’s not working. So you wait a bit more. Nothing. As the ‘ugh’ sets in, you go to check your unit and, lo and behold, it’s official: your heating unit has gone kaput.
Hot Water Heater Services NJ
So do you think went wrong?
- While there are several things that cause this, the most common problem is that the metal out of which this equipment is made – usually steel – has eroded beyond repair and the tank finally fails.
- What makes the erosion take place? Your units are lined on the inside by a layer of glass, but due to its nature and shape , not every part of the inside can be covered.
- This means there will always be some exposed metal. Over time, the metal will begin to rust, and the older a device is, the more the metal will give way to the elements.
Tank Replacement : To Do or Not to Do
One way to get ahead of a potential unit replacement is to not ignore a key sign: cooling water. If you are noticing that it is no longer as hot as it used to be, call your plumbing specialist. He will be able to determine if one of the mechanical elements is failing or if the problem is the tank itself.
- Sometimes cooler water in the tank is due to outside tank heat loss from a lack of tank insulation. (also called “Standy loss”
- If a unit is not well insulated, it will lose warmth through its tank walls.
- By having your specialist insulate your tank with a heater blanket or jacket, you can save upwards of 10% on your gas or electric bill and reduce your unit’s standby loss to anywhere from 25-50%.
If you find yourself in the unfortunate position of needing to entirely replace your heater, go over all the available options with a trusted plumber — like us. There are many types of tanks, with varying capabilities, insulation levels, gallon capacities, etc., that can fit your home.
Remember: an ounce of prevention goes a long way. As you head into the winter months, it is never a bad idea to have your give us a call. Even if you are not experiencing any problems, malfunctions can happen in a snap.
For your hot water repairs and bathroom remodeling NJ services, call us today at (732) 491-8303.