Get a Jumpstart on Spring Maintenance
Snow and frozen rain are still falling in February, and most homes still have their heaters cranked up to 70 degrees until April. Thoughts of air conditioning are still far from every homeowners’ mind in February, but they shouldn’t be. Late winter and early spring are the best time to get a jump on spring HVAC maintenance. Discover helpful tips and information on why this time of year is the best time of year to give the AC some TLC.
The Perfect Time for AC Maintenance Is Now!
Most folks know they need to see a doctor once a year for preventative care. Having a local HVAC expert come to the house and tune-up the AC is the same sort of thing. Consider the facts.
- Sitting Dormant: Has the AC kicked on during the winter? Probably not. Sitting unused for extended periods of time can produce a dirty, wheezy AC unit that needs a good cleaning before it will function properly.
- Scheduling: When summer hits, getting an AC appointment is about as easy as getting Superbowl tickets. AC technicians are overworked during the hotter months, but it’s a lot easier to schedule an appointment in the early spring.
- Expert Recommended: The energy-efficiency and HVAC technology experts recommend an annual maintenance appointment for HVAC systems. Energy-Star, the U.S. Department of Energy, and the Environmental Protection Agency all recommend annual AC maintenance.
Give These AC Parts a Tune-Up
Residential air conditioners have certain parts that may require a little more care during the annual maintenance appointment.
- Coils: The coils of an air conditioner are intended to absorb heat from the home so that the blower can produce cold air to cool the dwelling. When the evaporator coil and condenser coil sit unused for a long time, dirt will collect on their surface, insulating the coils and preventing them from absorbing heat, which reduces the cooling efficiency of the unit.
- Filters: The filters of an air conditioning unit keep the air blowing into the house clean. Dirt and debris are caught in the filter. However, when these filters become clogged, they will reduce the airflow of the unit. Generally, filters need to be replaced annually in homes with pets or a lot of residents.
- Refrigerant: Refrigerant can leak, causing the AC unit to blow hot air. This substance is not only toxic, but it can be harmful to the environment, too. Refrigerant leaks need to be located and refrigerant refilled to ensure that the unit functions properly in the summer.
Why Invest in Annual AC Maintenance?
- Lack of Use: Lack of use means problems will spring up unexpectedly. Plenty of homeowners won’t notice that their AC had been sitting with a busted coil or dirty filter all winter, and isn’t up to the heat, until first hot day of summer, when they try to turn it on.
- Warranties: Most AC warranties require annual maintenance to occur and be recorded for the warranty to stay in effect. If maintenance is skipped, the warranty may be voided, making the homeowner solely responsible for any repairs.
- Repairs vs. Replacement: Repairing an AC unit in early spring is a whole lot cheaper than replacing a blown unit in mid-summer. Repairs take less time, cost less, and are easier to schedule than a full AC replacement appointment.
- Lifespan: A well-maintained AC unit lasts longer. Getting annual maintenance keeps the AC in top shape, and if any issues arise, they can be addressed before any extreme damage can occur to the unit.
- Efficiency: Well-maintained units run better. When an AC unit is frequently cleaned, inspected, and well taken care of, the machine will cool a house more efficiently. This will pay off in the hotter months of summer when the unit runs more efficiently and saves the electric bill some money.
There are countless reasons to get a headstart on AC maintenance before the summer arrives! Ensure summertime comfort by giving a local HVAC expert a call to schedule maintenance today.
About RupCoe Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning
The friendly team at RupCoe Plumbing, Heating, & Air Conditioning have been solving HVAC issues in their South Plainfield community since 1985. Their team is dedicated to providing an affordable, exceptional HVAC experience for every customer. That’s why they offer financing solutions, maintenance plans, and honest estimates for every project. Contact them today to schedule AC maintenance in South Plainfield and enjoy peace of mind this summer.